Author Notes: This started as a recipe my sister sent me a long time ago for baked zucchini with bread crumbs that has evolved over the years in both of our kitchens. This is a simplified version in which the red cherry tomatoes star, as they melt sweetly onto their zucchini logs. - Fairmount_market - Fairmount_market
Food52 Review: Creativity goes a long way in cooking, and Farimount_market demonstrates that here. From the name to the ingredients, this recipe is a perfect example of how simple and original are the two parts that make up a well-constructed dish. The ingredients are basic but refined and the directions are easy to follow; in part because of the few steps involved in creating this lovely dish. It comes together in just a few minutes, could be adapted to accommodate different tastes or ingredients, is a good choice for the home cook on a budget, and still seems very elegant. We had leftovers the next day, which I mashed with a fork to make into a spread for pita chips -- also good! - checker - checker
Serves 2 to 4
- 6 small zucchini
- ~16 red cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- ~20 leaves basil
- 2 anchovy fillets
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the ends of the zucchini and slice them into 1/4 inch strips lengthwise (about 3 or 4 strips per small zucchini). Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Spread some olive oil on the bottom of a baking dish and arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer. Brush the zucchini with a little more olive oil and arrange the tomato halves on top, cut side down. Sprinkle over the pine nuts.
- Finely chop the basil and anchovy fillets and combine in a bowl with the bread crumbs, grated cheese, and a generous amount of black pepper, using your hands to mix the anchovy bits into the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes have collapsed and the breadcrumb mixture is nicely browned. Serve warm.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes