If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This started as a recipe my sister sent me a long time ago for baked zucchini with bread crumbs that has evolved over the years in both of our kitchens. This is a simplified version in which the red cherry tomatoes star, as they melt sweetly onto their zucchini logs. - Fairmount_market —Fairmount_market
Food52 Review: Creativity goes a long way in cooking, and Farimount_market demonstrates that here. From the name to the ingredients, this recipe is a perfect example of how simple and original are the two parts that make up a well-constructed dish. The ingredients are basic but refined and the directions are easy to follow; in part because of the few steps involved in creating this lovely dish. It comes together in just a few minutes, could be adapted to accommodate different tastes or ingredients, is a good choice for the home cook on a budget, and still seems very elegant. We had leftovers the next day, which I mashed with a fork to make into a spread for pita chips -- also good! - checker —checker
Serves 2 to 4
- 6 small zucchini
- ~16 red cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- ~20 leaves basil
- 2 anchovy fillets
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the ends of the zucchini and slice them into 1/4 inch strips lengthwise (about 3 or 4 strips per small zucchini). Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Spread some olive oil on the bottom of a baking dish and arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer. Brush the zucchini with a little more olive oil and arrange the tomato halves on top, cut side down. Sprinkle over the pine nuts.
- Finely chop the basil and anchovy fillets and combine in a bowl with the bread crumbs, grated cheese, and a generous amount of black pepper, using your hands to mix the anchovy bits into the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes have collapsed and the breadcrumb mixture is nicely browned. Serve warm.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
Just Pudding It Out There
Use your melon: make this 3-ingredient, vegan dessert
Pudding melon to the test.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
We give it 8 tentacles up.