If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is our favorite "retro" meal! I got the original idea from one of the America's Test Kitchen magazines, but have tweaked and modified it to suit my own tastes and elevate it slightly (using tenderloin rather than the sirloin they use, for example). - jaimelee22
- 2 tenderloin (fillet mignon) steaks, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 small onion or shallot, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 1/3 pound egg noodles
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large skillet (preferably not non-stick) over medium high heat. When nearly smoking, add meat and cook about 2 minutes without moving, turn and sear on the other side for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to skillet and cook mushrooms and onions with salt, stirring frequently until onions are browned and liquid from mushrooms has evaporated - about 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add both broths, brandy, and beef to pan. Cook until beef is very tender - about 20 minutes.
- Add egg noodles directly to skillet, cook until tender - about 10 minutes.
- Off heat, add sour cream, lemon juice, dill, dijon mustard, and season to taste with salt and pepper.