If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've borrowed elements from Thai Papaya Salad to make of reconstructed version of it. - vegetarianirvana
- 6-7 vine ripened cherry tomatoes [large ones]
- 2 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 small red thai chilli [or lesser qty according to your preferance]
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar [Shaved from sugar disc and crumbled]
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or thereabouts
- 1 kaffir lime leaf [both parts]
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup grated green papaya [ about 4 oz or 100 gms]
- 2 tablespoons chopped, roasted and salted peanuts and some extra for garnish.
- 2 thai basil leaves [optional]
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into half. Gently scoop out the seeds to create a cavity for filling. Invert all the tomato halves on a paper towel to drain any juice.
- In a mortar add the shallots, red chilli, palm sugar and salt. With a pestle pound to a coarse paste. If you dont have a M & P, put everything in a thick ziplock and gently pound with a rolling pin.
- Remove the pounded mixture and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the 2 part Kaffir lime leaf by tearing it into a few pieces. Keep the pieces large enough to be able to fish it out later.
- Add lemon juice. Mix the marinade well.
- To this add the grated green papaya. With your hands work the marinade and papaya thoroughly. Please use gloves if you are sensitive to the chili. Let it rest and pickle for 10-15 minutes. The taste at this point will be very potent. Not to worry, it will mellow when the pickling liquid is drained.
- Next remove the kaffir leaf shreds and gently squeeze excess liquid from the papaya. I removed a 1/4 cup liquid.
- To this pickled papaya add the chopped peanuts and mix well. Adjust salt if necessary.
- Fill the 12-14 halves of tomatoes with the papaya.
- Cup your palm over the filing and gently insert a tooth pick through the tomato. This holds the filling in place. Place on serving tray.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts.
- If using thai basil leaves, chiffonade and garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
Butter, Butter, Repeat
Puff pastry: No pain, all the gain.
Puff Pastry Primer
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Recipe of the Day
All the spring pastabilities.
That was a close shave.