If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Happy Halloween! This pumpkin bread recipe is adapted from the "Morning After Pumpkin Bread" in my book, which in turn was adapted from Bon Appetit. This time I used half white and half wheat flour (you can use all white if that's all you have) and I lessened the sugar and put in a couple of chopped apples. (I was going to say "threw in" but then I remembered how Gabrielle Hamilton is against that kind of talk). She's also against optional ingredients. I may continue to use them. I don't think any recipe is a perfect paradigm. There are options. - Giulia Melucci
Makes 1 loaf, 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin or any other kind
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 good baking apple such as Cortland or Northern Spy, grated (you should have 1 cup grated apple)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch loaf pan whatever way you please (I use Pam baking spray).
- Whisk together the sugar and oil until blended, then add the eggs and pumpkin. Lay out two paper towels, stacked on top of one another. Lay the grated apples over the paper towels. Roll up the paper towels into a log and squeeze gently to remove excess juices from the apples. Add the grated apples to the pumpkin mixture and mix to combine.
- In another bowl, stir together the flours, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Mix in the walnuts and let batter rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When ready to bake, pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until the loaf is very dark and a tester inserted deep into the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool in pan for ten minutes, then turn onto rack to cool completely.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!