Author Notes: I found this recipe for a summer peach cake in an old cookbook which I’ve had since my teenage years. Although I have adapted the recipe over the years to my liking, you can also easily vary the recipe by using other seasonal fruits such as apples or pears. - Irini Savva
- 3 large ripe peaches, sliced (and peeled if you prefer)
- 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Combine the peaches, 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and toss.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and remaining sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Then add the vanilla and mix. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix on low speed until just blended.
- Pour the mixture into a greased round baking dish (about 27 x 5cm) and arrange the peaches on top. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the baking dish. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart