Author Notes: First things first: this is not an original recipe- I found it from Epicurious. But it's hands down the best peach pie I've ever made or had- and I wanted to be sure all you guys got to see it/try it too. - totalnoms
Makes one pie
For the crust
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups (1 1/2 stick) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 4-5 pounds medium peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Add butter and shortening; using fingertips, rub in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add vinegar.
- Using fork, mix in enough water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; divide dough into 2 equal portions. Flatten each portion into disk. Wrap each in plastic; chill 45 minutes. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated. Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine peaches, sugar, flour and spices in large bowl; toss to mix well.
- Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie plate. Transfer peaches to crust, mounding in center. Roll out second dough disk to 13-inch round. Roll up dough on rolling pin and unroll atop peaches. Trim edges of both crusts to 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edges over; press to seal. Crimp edges. Cut 6 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie until crust is golden and juices bubble thickly through slits, covering edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool pie 3 hours (this is the absolute hardest part. I only made it 1 hour before I dove in, but the filling was still very liquidy). Serve with ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart