If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: First things first: this is not an original recipe- I found it from Epicurious. But it's hands down the best peach pie I've ever made or had- and I wanted to be sure all you guys got to see it/try it too. - totalnoms
Makes one pie
For the crust
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 4-5 pounds medium peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Add butter and shortening; using fingertips, rub in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add vinegar.
- Using fork, mix in enough water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; divide dough into 2 equal portions. Flatten each portion into disk. Wrap each in plastic; chill 45 minutes. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated. Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine peaches, sugar, flour and spices in large bowl; toss to mix well.
- Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie plate. Transfer peaches to crust, mounding in center. Roll out second dough disk to 13-inch round. Roll up dough on rolling pin and unroll atop peaches. Trim edges of both crusts to 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edges over; press to seal. Crimp edges. Cut 6 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie until crust is golden and juices bubble thickly through slits, covering edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool pie 3 hours (this is the absolute hardest part. I only made it 1 hour before I dove in, but the filling was still very liquidy). Serve with ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.