If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The almond toffee is a combination of two of my favorite sweets: I love the taste of caramelized cream and also of well roasted almonds. So I combined them to a flavorful spread which serves as a base for the peach layer. The dough is a simple shortcrust adapted from Delphine de Montalier's Tarte & Quiche cookbook. It's intentionally salty, because it complements the toffee. The peach and the lime-butter wash also complement the toffee. Optionally you can serve the tart with a scoop fennel sorbet, but it's also great with a cup of coffee on a sunday afternoon. - mybites
Peach and Almond Toffee Tart
- 8.8 ounces flour
- 4.4 ounces butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3.5 ounces almonds
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 package vanilla sugar)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2.5 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 lime
- 3 peaches
- dried legumes (e.g. lentils, beans)
- flour (for dusting the working surface)
- For the dough Dice 125g / 4.4 oz cold butter and let it warm to room temperature. Sift 250g / 8.8 oz flour on a working surface, push a mold in the middle and add the butter, egg yolk and 1/2 tsp salt. Quickly incorporate the ingredients meanwhile sprinkling the dough with 2 tbsp cold water. Collect the crumbles to a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate overnight.
- For the almond toffee Combine 220 ml / 1 cup cream, 100 g / 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch salt in a pan. Heat gently and let simmer stirring very often until the color changes to orange brown. This might take a while, so meanwhile blanch 100g / 3.5 oz almonds, drain the cooking liquid and rinse almonds with cold water. Snap off the skin of the almonds and drain the almonds on paper towel. Line a grid with parchment paper, add the peeled almonds and roast in 200°C / 390F hot oven until golden brown. Stir sometimes for a more even roasting. When nicely browned, remove from oven and chill to room temperature. Grind in a blender or coffee mill. When the toffee in the pan reached a nice orange brown color, remove from the heat and stir in the roasted almond powder. Refrigerate until needed. Before spreading on the cake, warm it up a little.
- For the tart Wash and peel the peaches, quarter and remove the stones. Slice each quarter thinly. Melt 1 tsp butter and add juice of 1/2 lime. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355F. Grease a 28cm / 11 inch tart form with 1.5 tsp butter. Lightly dust working surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough thinly. Line the form with the dough and prick with a fork. Cover with baking parchment and fill up with dried legumes (e.g. lentils, beans). Bake on a grid for 15 minutes, then remove the lentils and baking parchment and bake for further 5 minutes. Remove the cake base from the oven and spread evenly the almond toffee on it. Cover with peach slices and gently brush with the lime butter. Bake for further 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and let chill to room temperature.
- 1 cup white wine, dry
- 1 fennel (huge, about 1 pound)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 30 milliliters Pernod (French anise liqueur)
- lime juice to taste
- For the fennel sorbet Wash fennel, reserve leaves in cold wet paper towel and discard green and brown parts. Finely dice the fennel. Bring 220 ml / 1 cup dry white wine to a boil, add 4 tbsp sugar and the fennel cubes, cover with a lid and cook for 1 hour until very tender. Chill to room temperature, add 30 ml / 1fl oz pernod and blend to a fine puree. Strain through a fine sieve and adjust with lime juice to taste. The sorbet should be refreshing and slightly sour to contrast the sweet almond toffee. Refrigerate and prepare in your ice cream maker. If you don't own one, freeze sorbet base and blend every half an hour.
- To assemble and serve Cut slices from the tarte and place on a plate. Add 1 scoop fennel sorbet and decorate with reserved fennel leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.