If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this tart last summer for a friend who loves cream pies over fruit pies, but loves peaches. The creamy rice pudding filling and big chunks of roasted peaches turned out to be the perfect compromise. - erinmcdowell
Makes one 9" tart
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 peach, diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 peaches, each cut into 6 slices
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- To make the crust, heat the butter in a small pot. Cook until the butter is lightly brown and has a nutty fragrance, 10 minutes. Stir in the water, sugar, and salt, and stir until dissolved.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, add the flour, and stir until the mixture comes together. Turn it out into a tart pan (or just onto a baking sheet, if you like), and lightly press. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes, until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Press the crust into the pan until it’s about 1/4? thick. Lightly score the base with a fork, and bake in a 400 degree oven until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To make the peach compote, combine the peaches, honey, and vanilla in a small pot. Cook over low heat until the peaches have broken down completely, 10-15 minutes. Cool completely, then spread across the base of the cooled tart shell.
- To make the rice pudding filling, bring the rice, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon to a boil over medium heat. Add the salt and egg yolk and whisk well to combine.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat until the rice has absorbed the liquid and the mixture is thick and creamy, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover directly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cooled. When completely cool, pour into the cooled tart shell.
- To prepare the topping for the tart, prep the peaches and place on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture into the center of each peach slice.
- Roast the peaches in a 400 degree oven until the sugar has caramelized and the peaches are soft, 7-10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Arrange the cooled peaches on top of the rice pudding filling, and top with toasted walnuts.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.