Author Notes: If you have a southern grandmother, chances are you have watched her make a pie just as I did. Peach was a favorite of my grandma's. I personally like the fresh peaches from the farmer's market with a crumb topping. This way the fresh peach keeps it's identity, while the sugary, crumbly top lends to a doubly delicious pie experience. While grandma always made the dough from scratch, but you can use a premade pie crust. Follow the same directions as listed. - ashleypiersonchasesdinner
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut in pieces
pie filling and crumble
- 5 large peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- juice from 1/2 lemon- preferably organic
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- Make crust: In a food processor, add flour, salt and granulated sugar until combined. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, a few pea-size pieces may remain. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time); do not overmix. Shape dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or up to overnight).
- Filling: Add peaches, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Toss together. Set aside. In a seperate bowl, combine lemon juice and corn starch. Mix together and pour over peaches.
- For crumble: In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and rolled oats; using your hands, work in butter until large clumps form.
- Roll out dough and place in pie plate.
- Add filling onto the pie dough.
- Sprinkle crumble topping all over peach filling.
- Place pie plate onto a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart