If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This pie is a summertime dream come true-- a lightly spiced fresh peach filling studded with sour cherries and surrounded by a flaky, buttery crust. A lattice top makes for a classic presentation. As sour cherries have a short season and limited availability, feel free to leave them out if you're unable to source them. The pie will still be Just Peachy. - karollu —karollu
Food52 Review: Even without sour cherries, karollu's recipe resulted in a lovely peach pie that was very well received at a dinner party -- especially when paired with the host's homemade peach ice cream! The instructions were clear and precise and, although the pate brisee was a bit of a pain to work with in making the lattice strips, the resulting presentation, thanks to the sanding sugar and egg wash, made the effort worthwhile (e.g. "You MADE this? Yourself?!? You did not!! You DID?? Really??? Wow!!") We are anxious to try this recipe again with sour cherries when they become available. Although next time around we'd probably cut back a bit on the cinnamon and nutmeg, which made it seem a little more autumnal than summery. - wssmom —wssmom
Pate Brisee (adapted from Martha Stewart)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup ice water, more if needed
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, and using a pastry cutter or knife, work the butter into the flour, until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time into the mixture, combining with a fork, until the dough just begins to stick together.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions and form each into a ball.
- Flatten each ball into a disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight before using.
Just Peachy Pie
- 1 recipe Pate Brisee
- 2 1/2 pounds peaches, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3/4 cup sour cherries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (2 tsp if omitting sour cherries)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- sanding sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roll out 1 disk of Pate Brisee and fit into a pie pan, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, sour cherries, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the sugar mixture to the fruit, and mix to incorporate.
- Roll out the remaining Pate Brisee disk, and cut into 1.5-inch strips, using a lattice cutter.
- Pour fruit mixture into the prepared pie pan, piling fruit in the center. Dot with butter.
- Weave the strips of dough into a lattice pattern. Crimp edges as desired.
- Chill pie in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. In the meantime, whisk together the egg and heavy cream.
- Brush the chilled pie with the egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 50-60 minutes, rotating halfway through, until the crust is brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow to cool before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart