If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my first weeks at the market this season, I spoke with a very small farm that was new to the market. They had giant bushels of all sorts of fresh greens. The broccoli rabe was by far the best looking and most fragrant. I snatched some of it up to take home immediately. Alex (the farmer) shared with me that he had just made a curry rice dish with lots of wilted broccoli raab the night before. This was my inspiration for the Broccoli Raab Curry Lentil Soup that I hope you will all enjoy! It's not much of a summer soup as it's quite hearty and spicy, so enjoy it as fall approaches and the holiday season takes you inside to spend time with family. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 6 hearty bowls of soup
- 2 stalks celery plus leaves (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 Spanish onion (chopped)
- 3 Russian potatoes (washed and cubed)
- 1/2 pound fresh cremini mushrooms (whole if small, or cut in half)
- 2 big bunches! broccoli raab (rinsed and stems trimmed)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can whole San Marzano tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- In a large soup pot, heat a hearty amount of olive oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onions with some salt and pepper to release the liquids from the vegetables. After cooking for 5-7 minutes, add tomato paste and garlic and stir to combine. Cook for 3 more minutes. Add the curry, cumin and red pepper and mix to combine. Let cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the whole can of tomatoes, including the juice, bay leaves, and salt and pepper and give the pot a good mix. Bring to a simmer (about 3-4 minutes). Add the lentils to the tomato and vegetable mixture. Stir in and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and water to the pot, turn the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. This will take about 10 minutes. Lower to medium, but the broth should still be lightly boiling. Once boiling add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Next, add the potatoes and let cook for about 5 minutes or until potatoes are soft enough to eat. Lastly, add the broccoli raab and mix it in. It will wilt really quickly, so once you add it, lower the heat. Serve immediately!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
Orange You Glad?
A better, more carrot-y carrot cake
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
Recipe of the Day
A better basket.