Author Notes: Because greens can be quite bitter, I love finding sweeter counterparts. For the holidays, nothing beats cranberries! - JessicaBakes
Serves 2-4, depending on how much you like your greens!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 cups diced kabocha squash (use butternut if you can't find it)
- 2 bunches red chard, stems sliced thinly and leaves chopped coursely
- 1 bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, chard stems (not leaves!) and squash. Saute until the squash is tender.
- Add the cranberries and cinnamon stick. As the berries heat, they will often pop...this is normal, so don't be scared! Allow the cranberries to soften until edible.
- Add the zest, vinegar and spices. Stir until fragrant (about 1 minute), then turn off the heat and immediately add the chard leaves. Stir and season with salt and pepper until wilted to your level of desired doneness.