If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I could list a bunch of recipes, but instead I am going to simply tell you to find any recipe you like that calls for greens, such as Spinach, Swiss Chard or Mustard Greens and replace them with Kale. Stew, quiche, lasagna, pesto or even Spanakopita recipe, can be made with Kale. During Spring and early summer I cook this kind of soup with Sorrel and Nettle, which are very popular in Eastern Europe. Sorrel has a natural sourness and Nettle a ton of vitamins. Blanched, nettles will keep their emerald loveliness even after a good 15 minutes of cooking, which makes any dish visually stunning. Be sure to wear gloves when removing the nettle leaves from the stems. —Kukla
- • 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- • 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- • 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- • 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or prepared low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat or vegetable stock for vegetarians
- • 1 1/2 cups Whey or 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pound kale, stems removed
- • 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- • 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- • 3 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and whites removed
- • Sour cream for serving
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add whey or vinegar, kale and green onions, season with salt. Return soup to a simmer, cover, and cook until kale wilts, about 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat, add parsley and dill, taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Cover the pot with a lid and let stand for the flavors to concentrate.
- Grate the egg yolks on the large side of the grater and sprinkle on top of each serving. Serve hot or chilled with a dollop of sour cream or on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.