If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Being a FN junkie, Iron Chef is one of my favorite shows (both the original Japanese version and American version hosted by Alton Brown) and every so often I play Iron Chef in my kitchen (c’mon, like you haven’t!). There’s no one playing with me (except my furry friend Pepper, else I would look crazy blabbering on to myself whilst chopping veggies), although I would like to take on Chef Cat Cora someday. This was my Iron Chef night in my kitchen, battle Kale. —midnitechef
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 bunch fresh Kale, washed, cut into 1/2? pieces, remove stems
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced smallish
- 1 slice thick bacon or a few thin slices pancetta, diced fine
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 4 sage leaves, Julienne
- 15 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound Penne (gluten-free as an option)
- Pecorino cheese shavings for garnish
- Brown the turkey with a little salt and pepper over medium heat, just until it’s cooked. Remove to a plate for now, you can drain it on paper towels if you like.
- In a large skillet with a lid, turn the heat to low (to medium-low) to render the bacon. Take the little pieces out as they crisp up. Add the onion, stir it around for a minute or two while you raise the heat to medium then add the carrot, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until the carrot gets a bit floppy, then add the sage, turkey, sauce and a tablespoon of water to the pan. Quickly cover the pan with the kale and the lid. You want to steam the kale for 5 minutes.
- Once everybody is tender in the sauce, serve it over the cooked pasta, and don’t forget some cheese over top for a little salty bite. Substitute pasta for gluten-free pasta or brown rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
How to Eat Cookies for Breakfast
Well, cookie butter that is
Eat cookies for breakfast.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
It's time to travel.
The sauce savior.
Put cake on a pedestal.