If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes a holiday turkey dinner doesn't have to be a whole turkey and for a small gathering of guests, I have fallen for a wonderful Italian take on a prepared rolled turkey breast roast. While the original calls for a boned turkey breast, this little roast is perfect for 6-8 diners. I have my own version of sausage seasoning that is full of flavor, so I cut back on the seasonings, but feel free to use a good porchetta seasoning blend of your choice. Original recipe: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/roasted-turkey-breast-porchetta-style.aspx —ibbeachnana
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground sausage seasoning of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, rough chopped
- *optional lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons salt if you are not using a salt seasoned sausage blend
- 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- Freshly ground pepper melange
- 1 tablespoon Tuscan Herb seasoned olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil for browning the turkey breast
- 1 bonless skin on turkey breast roll
- 8 slices of pancetta or enough to cover top roast
- Grind the coriander and fennel seeds add the rosemary and sage, garlic and 1 Tbs. salt whiz in the rest of the spices and herbs. Remove and add to 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir and set aside. Open the turkey breast roast, remove string wrap completely, lay our flat and slash in a few of the thicker places, but not cut through. Just enough to season into the folds of the meat. Spread about ½ of the herb seasoning over the roast, tucking the mixture into the fold that you created, turn and season under the skin. Roll and retie the roast to the best of your ability, season the roast with the rest of the herb mixture, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for no less than 4 hours. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Brown turkey breast roll on both sides. Transfer the breast seam side down to a roasting pan fitted with a rack. Cover the roast with the pancetta slices. Roast turkey to about 150-155° 1-1/4 hours. Remove the crispy pancetta and set aside for serving, cover the roast with foil and all to sit for about 30 minutes, check the temperature, should be at about 160° or better. Remove strings, slice and serve with crumbled pancetta. Notes: I add about 1 cup water to the bottom of the pan while roasting and then ½ cup white wine 10 minutes before it is due to come out of the oven. Make a little gravy from the pan juices and bits, a little roux and chicken broth.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Roast
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
Blend your plums—seriously.
It's time to travel.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
Off to market.