Author Notes: A nice appetizer that is best warm but definitely good at room temperature and can be made ahead before baking and frozen until ready to use....just thaw a bit before slicing. - inpatskitchen - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: Inpatskitchen gave me a special dispensation to sub pancetta for pepperoni, as I had some of the former that needed a good home. And good home this is! Be sure to follow her instructions in step 1 to squeeze as much water as possible from the spinach. A potato ricer is indispensable here. If using a protein other than pepperoni, saute it first. And definitely follow her step 3 instruction to roll the puff pastry into a uniform rectangle. You want to make it less than 1/4-inch thick so you can get all those lovely fillings spread even wider. The great thing here is that hot is great, and room temp is lovely. In other words, you don't need a chafer to serve them! - boulangere - boulangere
Makes about 20 pinwheels
- 9 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup finely diced pepperoni from slices
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 sheet thawed puff pastry from a 17.3 ounce package
- 1 egg beaten with 3 tablespoons water
- Steam the spinach with a few tablespoons of water until wilted. Cool and squeeze as dry as possible. Chop finely and place in a mixing bowl.
- Incorporate the pepperoni, cream cheese, mayo, Asiago and oregano into the spinach.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet just a bit to form a uniform rectangle. Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the pastry.
- Starting at the long end, roll the pastry to form a log and then refrigerate for about 20 minutes for ease in cutting. ( At this point you can wrap the log well and freeze for future use. Just partially thaw before slicing and baking. )
- Slice the log into about 20 half inch circles and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush each pinwheel with a bit of the egg mixture and bake at 425F for 15 to 17 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens