If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With the addition of aromatics this pate is the perfect accompaniment to a Banh Mi, and a hard to resist snack all on its own. —GoodforthePalate
Makes 1 24oz terrine
- 1 pound ground pork shoulder or butt
- 1 pound chicken liver
- 1 1/2 pounds pork fat back
- 15 pieces raw bacon
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 large minced shallots
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cognac
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Clean livers by placing on a cutting board and holding onto the sinewy parts. Using the back of a knife scrape the meaty part gently away from the sinew. You will see the webs of sinew and be able to discard them.
- (skip this step if using pre-ground spices) If you can use fresh spices grind them together with a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder.
- Grind together the chopped liver, pork, fat back, garlic and shallots. Grind twice for a smoother texture. If using food processor, pulse until all ingredients are combined.
- In a bowl fold meat mixture and remaining ingredients together, except for the bacon.
- Preheat oven to 350 ? F. In a 24oz. pate terrine or a 8x4x31/4 loaf pan lay bacon strips, overlapping slightly. Let it hang over the sides of your pan. Fill pans with meat mixture and fold over the remaining bacon.
- Place pate in a large roasting pan and fill it with water till it reaches about 2/3 up the sides of the loaf pan. Bake pate for 1 to 11/2 hours at or until the internal temperature reaches about 150 ? F.
- Allow the pate to remain in the fat in the pan while it cools.
- The pate will last in the fridge for about 5 days.
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
It's in the bag.