Author Notes: This is how I remember endives from my childhood, in simple neighborhhod brasseries in Geneva, with the sugar, butter and lemon a foil to the bitterness of the endives, but not significant enough to draw attention to themselves. Its a nice, simple side. - nogaga
- 2 endives
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- juice of half a large lemon
- Melt butter in medium-sized non-stick pan. Sprinnkle about the half the sugar on the butter.
- Slice the endives in half lengthwise, and place, sliced size down, in the pan over medium heat. Sprinkle remianing sugar and slat over the endives and trun over, to caramelize the second size, after about five or six minutes.
- When the endives are nicely caramelized on both sides, deglaze with juice of half a lemon.
- Serve. This side is a particularly good accompaniment for roast chicken and veal.