If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: "Sandwich" really does not apply here. The very word conjures up rules about crusts, watercress and cucumbers.
When you take a buttermilk waffle and make it into a Buttermilk Black Pepper Bacon Waffle, then you coat it with butter, grill it in a pan and melt a half cup of cheese between those two slabs of bacon-y waffle divot-ed goodness... that my friends is a SAMMICH.
This perversion came about one day experimenting with savory waffles, throwing the fridge at a batch of waffle batter, nearing the end when I thought "Hey, I have bacon... and cheese...!"
Waffle recipes generally call for a 1/2 cup of fat/oil/melted butter. In this recipe, substituted half the oil for bacon fat ('cause that's how I roll) and skipped the salt all together, the bacon brings enough salt on it's own.
Pairs well with a cold beer and reality shows... —Food Gypsy
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 8 - 10 pieces peppered bacon (diced, cooked to brown, and cooled)
- 1/4 cup rendered bacon fat, cooled
- 2 cups aged cheddar (the sharper, the better)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cook bacon. Drain, reserve 1/4 cup bacon fat and bacon.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Beat eggs in large bowl with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Stir in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and mix by hand or with electric mixer until smooth.
- Add cooked bacon and 1/4 cup bacon fat, fold in to batter.
- Coat waffle iron with a thin layer of oil or non-stick cooking spray if needed.
- Pour batter onto waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Allow waffles to cool (or make ahead and pop them in the fridge).
- Brush one side of waffle(s) with melted butter. Place, buttered-side down, in non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add 1/2 cup grated aged cheddar, place second waffle on top, buttered side up.
- Allow cheese to melt, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip to toast other side of waffle, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cut and serve immediately with pickles... or BBQ sauce to dip.
Anything But Watered Down
Pair tomato water with pasta
Tomato water: the sauce of summer.
Butter pecan ice cream for impatient cooks.
It's time to travel.
Tomato skins, meet salt.
Put cake on a pedestal.