Author Notes: Inspired by Diana Henry's Pure Simple Cooking, serve this stuffing alongside roasted chicken or meat.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 3 cups packed homemade 1-inch bread crumb cubes made from baguette bread. (Note: homemade bread crumbs are essential for good stuffing, do not over pulse.)
- 1 bunch chopped watercress, leaves and thin stems only
- 3/4 cups dried, pitted sour cherries
- 1/4-1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak dried cherries in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drain. Saute onion in butter until soft. Turn off heat and mix in breadcrumbs, watercress, cherries, and enough stock to just wet the mix. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Stuff in to the cavity of a bird or inside a boned leg of lamb before cooking. Or, bake stuffing in a baking dish covered with aluminum foil for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Let stand for 10 minutes. Top with chopped dill and serve with a small spoonful of sour cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Stuffing