If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the combination of sweet and savory which is why I think pears are the perfect "sweet" to this, otherwise savory, pizza. If pears are out of season, dried figs are a nice substitute. While my favorite pizzas are those cooked in a brick oven, my humble indoor oven doesn't disappoint. - Katie
Serves 1 large pizza or 6 individual pizzas
For Pizza Dough
- 1 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 2 packets Yeast
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus some for oiling bowl
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 3 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Topping
- Olive Oil
- 1 Caramelized Onion
- 1/4 cup Toasted Pinon Nuts
- 2 Ripe Bosc Pears, Peeled and Diced
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 1 cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 ounces Baby Arugula
- 1/4 cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Make the dough: Combine the water, yeast, honey and 3 T. olive oil in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. When the yeast is dissolved, add 3 cups of flour and 1 tsp. salt. Mix on medium speed to form a soft dough; about 10 minutes. Add up to 1/2 c. more flour while mixing to keep dough from sticking to sides of bowl (the crust comes out best when the dough is sticky and not loaded down with flour so I try to use as little of the extra 1/2 c. flour as possible). Once dough is formed, knead by hand a couple of times then put in oiled bowl and cover with kitchen towel. Let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Once dough has risen, take out of bowl and place on a sheet pan. Cover with damp towel and let rise for 10 more minutes. Form into a rectangle by hand or roll out with rolling pin. Place back on sheet pan for assembly.
- Assemble the Pizza: Drizzle crust with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and crushed black pepper. Scatter grated mozzarella cheese over crust. Next, add caramelized onion, pinon nuts, goat cheese, and pear to pizza.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for about 30 minutes until crust is crisp and cheese has melted.
- Whisk lemon juice and olive oil together to create vinaigrette. Toss arugula with vinaigrette and pile on pizza.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pears