If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Congee is a very comforting food. This pear congee makes an elegant dessert in the fall. You can make a simpler version to help cure a cold. Add lots of chopped ginger to the congee and just cook the pears, diced, along with the rice, adding them about half an hour before the soup is finished.. Stir in honey to taste and sip. —luvcookbooks
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4 thin slices fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 pears, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup Calvados
- 2 Asian pears, with peel, cored and diced
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Combine the rice, water, star anise, cinnamon stick, ginger slices and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat so that the rice simmers for about an hour. It should be porridgey. Stir occasionally, especially as it gets thicker, so that it doesn't stick.
- When the rice is done, cover the pot and keep it over very low heat. Combine the sugar and remaining water in a frying pan. Bring to a boil without stirring. When the boiling sugar syrup just starts to color, take if off the heat and add the diced pears and chopped ginger., turning so they are all coated with the syrup. Return the pan to heat and add the Calvados. Simmer 5-10 minutes, until the pears start to soften. Add a little water if the syrup is too thick.
- While the pears and ginger are cooking, pan roast the cashews until they brown slightly and become fragrant. Add a few pinches of kosher salt and stir. Chop coarsely.
- Remove star anise, ginger, and cinnamon stick from the rice mixture. Bring to a boil and ladle into six small bowls, filling about 2/3 full. Spoon the pear and ginger mixture over the rice. Top with diced Asian pear and cashews. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pears
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.