If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my ultimate fall comfort soup. It's perfect when you're sick, and even better cooked over a fire on a fall camping trip. I usually use an immersion blender to finish the soup, but a potato masher works just as well. - zest in the midwest
- 1 white onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of your favorite curry powder
- 3 carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 quart chicken broth (stock works too)
- 2 cups good quality apple juice or apple cider
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 granny smith apple
- OPTIONAL: Any firm sheep's milk cheese (unsmoked goat gouda works well too)
- Chop your vegetables. If you won't be using an immersion blender at the end, a smaller dice is what you want. If blending, a rough chop will work just fine. Keep the onion separate from the rest of the vegetables, as it gets to be first in the pot of curried fun.
- Over medium heat, combine the butter and oil in your favorite soup-making pot. When the butter has completely melted, add the onion. Season with salt and pepper, and saute for about five minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the curry powder and cook for another two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the apple juice and chicken broth. Turn the heat up to medium-high, and add the remaining vegetables. Cook for about 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. While the soup is cooking, chop the apple into a small dice (peeling it is up to you).
- Turn the heat off and gently blend the soup with an immersion blender until the soup is smooth (a few chunks are ok). Stir in the cream. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with apples and shavings of cheese.
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.