Author Notes: Some might argue that there are other things that rank at the top with pizza as far as versatility for food delivery, but I feel they would be mistaken. No pita, taco, burrito or any other bread product has ever been able to do what the underappreciated crust of a good pizza can do. Pizza dough is the maverick of the bread world.
Pizza dough can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Make it plain, add some herbs, or mmmmm, roasted garlic. Make the dough paper thin so it snaps when you bite it, or slightly thicker so you can fold it in half like a sandwich, or even so thick you need a fork and knife to eat it, and find yourself rolling away from the table after one slice. Truly you are only limited by your creativity. Perhaps that is why when I want to put a new spin on things I typically turn to pizza. - Dabblings
Makes one pizza
- 1/2 the dough from King Arthur's sourdough pizza crust recipe (or whatever dough you like to use)?.
- 1 recipe for baba ganoush. Whichever is your favorite (or if you don't have a favorite try the parsley thief's recipe for Grilled Baba Ganoush).
- 1/3 cup Sun dried-tomatoes (enough to cover the dough)
- 1 small red onion (sliced thin and sauteed over low heat until caramelized)
- Mozzarella cheese (You want at least 4 oz. but I use closer to 6-8 oz. because I like it like that)
- Small handful of parsley; finely chopped.
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to a 12 inch round. Transfer dough to a pizza stone, or a greased pizza pan.
- Spread baba ganoush just like you would a tomato sauce onto the dough leaving a 1/2 inch space free around the edges.
- Sprinkle a small amount of cheese (maybe a 1/3 of it) on top the baba ganoush. Then layer with the sun-dried tomatoes, sprinkle the caramelized onions, and finish by sprinkling the remaining cheese across the top of the pizza.
- Cook the pizza in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese is slightly browned. Remove from the oven.
- Once the pizza is out of the oven garnish the pizza by sprinkling the chopped parsley across the top.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.