Author Notes: I've fallen in love with cooking with whole grain mustard, mostly because every time I put it in a dish, it suddenly feels very french without all the fat. Magic? I like to think so. - JessicaBakes - JessicaBakes
Food52 Review: When I saw "mustardy", I knew I had to make this recipe. And I have to agree with JessicaBakes, whole grain mustard does work magic! I'm eating a bowl of this comforting dish as I write. It's perfect with the wind and rain blowing outside. The potatoes and pinto beans are coated with a delicious mix of mustard, garlic, and soft leeks, all wonderful flavors. The dish comes together easily and I made it ahead for dinner tonight, although I'm not sure how much of it is going to be left . . . - BlueKaleRoad - BlueKaleRoad
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, cleaned well and sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5-6 medium-sized yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans OR 1 can cooked pintos
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- If using dried pinto beans, soak & cook them as you normally would before beginning the rest of the recipe.
- Heat the butter over medium-high heat, preferably in a cast-iron dutch oven. Once completely melted, add the leeks and saute until soft and beginning to fall apart, about 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and give it a minute to heat. Add the potatoes and quickly move them around so they all get a coat of oil. Then walk away. Just walk away. Allow the bottom layer of potatoes to get nice and browned before mixing them, making sure all of the potatoes get tender and browned in the oil. Then, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the pintos, mustard, salt, pepper, red pepper and stir to combine. Allow the pintos to heat through and continue to season to taste until delicious!
- Serve with a small sprinkling of parsley and enjoy!