If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have always enjoyed sweet potatoes in a savory manner. I was putting together ways of making a mashed version and thought the kick of chipotle would be great. It was but I thought the addition of maple would be the counterpoint add that familiar sweet note. - ashleyza —ashleyza
Food52 Review: Here is a spunky, slightly deviant twist on the archetypal marshmallow-topped sweet potato casserole that won't throw off the whole feast or upset Grandma. In fact, we think it would suit everything from turkey to roast pork. Chipotle laces the fluffy mash with subtle heat and smokiness, and maple adds welcome depth without making it sticky-sweet. Ashleyza cleverly calls upon the microwave here to cook the potatoes swiftly. Of course you could boil or bake them if you prefer, but it's always nice -- especially during the holidays with full ovens and stovetops -- to have an escape hatch to get things done. - A&M —The Editors
- 4 large sweet potatoes (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Wash sweet potatoes and fork prick all sides. Microwave until cooked through. Once cooled enough, remove the skins. Then put the cooked sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- In a food processor or using an immersion blender (my choice) pulse the milk and chipotle together. In a saucepan bring the milk and chipotle mixture to a simmer on low. Then add the maple syrup, sour cream, butter, and salt and pepper to the milk mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cooked sweet potatoes and again use the immersion blender or a hand mixer to mix the ingredients together.
- Your Best Root Vegetable Side Contest Finalist!
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Cheese peppers, grapes, and more
This week's best #F52farmstands.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Storage made crystal clear.