If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We do many variations of this burger once summer hits. The key is a nice balance of sweet, spicy & citrus flavors and a charcoal grill. —Tom Kelly
Food52 Review: Not for wimps, this burger has layers of flavor -- and heat. Tom Kelly recommends a sweet-spicy glaze that caramelizes as the beef patties sizzle on the grill, and his crunchy slaw gets fierier as it sits. We initially thought the goat cheese might be overkill, but when it softened and began to melt, it blended with the slaw to mitigate some of the spice. We used 1/2 cup mayo and only one chipotle for the slaw and added a generous pinch of salt. We also found that the recipe made enough glaze and slaw for at least 8 burgers. If you're fresh out of blood orange vinegar like we were, you can substitute 2 tablespoons orange juice and 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar.
- A&M —The Editors
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or chopped canned tomatoes
- 3 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 beef paties
- 1 log of goat cheese, sliced
- 2 sesame buns
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2/3 cup blood orange vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Start with the slaw, which can be made several hours ahead of time. Blend the vinegar, mayo, and chipotles, mix with cabbage and refrigerate until ready for use.
- For the burger glaze, blend bbq sauce, tomatoes, chipotles, and honey. Season burger patties with salt and pepper and place over med-high heat on grill. As the burgers cook, paint with about 4 coats of the glaze.
- Once they begin to approach desired doneness, move to indirect heat, add goat cheese and cover grill until cheese begins to melt.
- Toast buns lightly and assemble burgers with spicy slaw.
- Your Best Burger Contest Finalist!
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.