If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is a tent at Jazz Fest in New Orleans (or at least there was before I had children) that sells the most delicious sweet potato pone. Somewhere between a pudding and a cake, pone is most often made with corn. Pones can also be made with sweet root vegetables like sweet potatoes. Serve pone with a savory entree or as dessert topped with whipped cream. My grandmother used make something very much like this. Here is my version. - Waverly —Waverly
Food52 Review: I have to admit, before today I had never tasted a pone and had no idea what it was. Waverly's Sweet Potato Pone fixed that. It’s really delicious. In fact I think it can wear two hats; it would be equally good as a side (think candied sweet potatoes only better and not as sweet) or as a dessert. I love the spicing and the addition of the orange zest and brandy really add to the overall flavor. It's super easy to put together, especially if you grate the sweet potato with your food processor. I had it warm with some whipped cream and imagined myself at Jazz Fest in Louisiana. - sdebrango —sdebrango
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, plus more for the topping
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs at room temperature, beaten
- 4 cups peeled and then grated sweet potatoes (about 2-3 large)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 orange, zested
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 350. Butter a glass baking dish.
- MIX: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat to combine. Add grated potatoes, milk, brandy, molasses, spices, salt and orange zest. Stir until combined.
- BAKE: Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar on top and bake until set, about 1 hour in a shallow pan.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.