If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mama loves parsnips, and this sweet-and-savory combo made me a lover too! - erinmcdowell
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 Vidalia onions, large dice
- 1 bunch parsnips, peeled, large dice
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt, to taste
- lots of fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup dry hard cider (or dry white wine will do in a pinch)
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- handful fresh chopped parsley
- handful fresh chopped chives
- Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet. Cook until the butter is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the onions and parsnips and cook over low heat until they begin to soften and brown lightly, 10-12 minutes. Toss frequently to prevent burning (especially the already browned butter).
- Add the sliced garlic and continue to cook until the vegetables darken a little more, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, salt, and pepper until well combined. Add the wine and cider and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer, tossing occasionally, until the liquid is almost entirely reduced (it will make a thick glaze over the vegetables), 12-15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the parsley and chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
Write a #HappyList
These are a few of our favorite things.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.