Author Notes: I got a beautiful beetroot form a friend/farmer and wanted to experiment with it. I love millet and I am trying to see how versatile it can be. I made up this recipe from sratch, looking for something new.
It ended up being a very different dish from a risotto --less creamy and starchy-- but very interesting nonetheless. Kernels were well separated and perfectly combined with the rest of the ingredients: very simply beetroot, parmigiano and thyme. - breadandbreakfast
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 5 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 garlic clove, pealed and pressed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup steamed beetroot, diced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- salt, to taste
- fresh thyme, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 T olive oil over medium fire.
- Add the garlic clove and fry for 5 minutes, then remove it.
- Add diced beetroot and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add millet and toast it over medium fire, stirring from time to time, about 3 minutes.
- Add hot stock 1 cup at a time, letting it get absorbed completely before pouring another cup.
- Once stock is almost all absorbed and millet cooked, turn off the fire and season with 1/2 T olive oil.
- Add parmigiano and stir well, until cheese is blended and melted. Add salt if needed
- Serve warm with thyme leaves and parmigiano to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side