If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a beautiful and complex soup filled with the beauties I picked up at the farmers’ market this past Sunday morning: parsnips, heirloom carrots, baby potatoes, garlic, an onion, raw cream, and bacon. - F for Food
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped heirloom carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1/4 - 1/2 cups raw cream
- 6 ounces raw bacon, chopped
- 1/2 pound baby, new potatoes, quartered, boiled in chicken stock and divided
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Scatter the parsnips and carrots on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until semi-tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a 6-quart stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add parsnips, carrots, half of the potatoes, bay leaf and garlic.
- Add the stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until everything is very soft, about 1 hour. Remove soup from heat and allow to cool a little. Discard bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree soup until smooth. Stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small saute pan, over medium heat, render bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Sautee the remaining potatoes in bacon fat until crispy and brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer potatoes to paper towel lined plate when done. Season with salt.
- To serve, ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with the crispy potatoes and bacon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.