If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I can't begin to summarize the story of this miraculous cake and how I came by the frosting recipe. If you are ready for a good read, go here for the cake recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes/11540_belle_foleys_chocolate_cake
Then go here for the astounding correspondence that it engendered: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle/8078-a-question-about-a-recipe-belle-foley-s-chocolate-cake
And here is the historic frosting recipe which was totally new to me as of a few hours ago.
And please, pass it on. - boulangere
Makes frosting for 1 cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 rounding tablespoons Hershey's cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Butter or oleo
- Max Foley's niece writes, "Foley cake just isn't Foley cake without this icing! There was an article on Grandma Belle in the Fenton Independent. The article contained recipes for her goulash, Foley cake, icing and bread."
- "Cook in iron skillet if possible, it is the best. Mix ingredients and then add just enough milk to form a smooth consistency. Heat until all the mixture is boiling. Then take it off the stove, cool and stir until the icing is thick enough to frost the cake.
- A beautiful circle closes. Thank you to all who have enjoyed this cake and its rich story.