If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first had celery root soup with bacon in Norway last summer. I was so delighted with the clean flavors and the comforting texture that I had to try and replicate it at home. It's simple, but captures the delicious unique flavor of celery root -- enjoy! —student epicure
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium celery roots, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4-5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven, saute the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Drain to a paper towel, reserving 1 tablespoon of rendered fat in the pan.
- Saute the onion in the bacon fat until soft, ~10 minutes, being careful not to brown. Add celery root and 4 cups chicken stock. Let simmer until celery root is very tender.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender, using the milk to thin it enough to puree.
- Add bacon back to soup. If soup is still too thick, thin it with more chicken stock. Season with cayenne pepper, salt and fresh ground pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
What to Watch (and Cook to) on Netflix
Eat this from the comfort of your couch
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
It's time to travel.
Hone and design links we love.
Off to market.