If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was given to me by a woman I bought my beets from at the farmer's market. I made a few adaptions and absolutely love how all the flavors work together. This creamy sauce gives just the added touch to baked beets without being overwhelming. - ashleychasesdinner
- 4 medium beets, peeled and cut in slices ( about a quarter inch thick or so)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter- unsalted
- 1 shallot- chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 degree.
- Arrange beets in 9x13 baking dish. Add water. Cover dish and bake for about 45 minutes. Beets should be fork tender.
- Sauce: Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallot and saute until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth paste forms.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and wine.
- Bring to a low boil. Sauce will thicken.
- Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to sauce.
- Pour sauce over beets.
- Return to the oven and bake uncovered, about 10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and golden around edges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.