If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are so many vegetables that are overlooked and underrated. Today I am spotlighting " Turnips". My mother used turnips when fixing greens and other the veggies and she could not get us to eat them. She once tried to persuade us that they were just like potatoes, but she could not fool us. Now I love the flavor of Turnips and they are very good in soups and stews. So I hope this recipe will enticed you try Turnips. Enjoy! - cwcafetoday
- 1 pound White Turnips (4 medium - peeled and cubed)
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 3 tablespoons Unssalted Butter
- 1 Small White Onio (chopped)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Instant Mashed Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 4 ounces Cream Chees (soften or whipped)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Wash turnips, then peel and cut into cubes, about 1/2 inch thick. Just make sure the cubes are cut the same size so that they can evenly cook.
- In a stock pot (about 3 - 5 quart) pour vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Then add turnips, butter, onions, garlic and reduce heat, let simmer for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Be careful when placing hot items in the blender as steam can blow the lid off.
- Pour soup mixture into blender and add mashed potato flakes, nutmeg, honey and blend on medium speed until smooth, then add Philadelphia Cream Cheese and blend well.
- Return soup to pot and let simmer for about 2 - 3 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper. Then add chopped parsley and blend. Pour soup into bowls and garnish with chopped scallions and additional parsley if desire.
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.