If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A few months back, a dear friend of mine brought me a real treat: Sucre roux a la Coriandre. Basically, it's a coriander-infused sugar, and it's scrumptious. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, initially, but since, I've used it in a fig-poaching liquid as well as to caramelize Asian pears. Both are real delights.
Last night I served the caramelized pears atop homemade spiced apple butter -awesome- and last week I put them on pan-roasted salmon. Also delish. Though I've not tried this with other pears or apples, I suspect the result would be equally tasty. I started with Asian pears because I like their crunch and thought they'd hold up well during cooking. They do.
This sugar is made by Terre Exotique. I think you could approximate it by whisking some freshly ground coriander into unrefined sugar.
Enjoy. - em-i-lis
- 1 large Asian pear, washed but not peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons coriander sugar
- Slice the Asian pear into thin rounds and slivers- about 1/8" thick- working around the core.
- In a 10" skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. When it's bubbling, sprinkle the sugar over it and then layer in your pear rounds and slices; they can touch or slightly overlap but make sure they have room to really caramelize and cook.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook, flipping occasionally, until the pears are fragrant, cooked through but still a tad firm, and have taken on a golden brown hue.
- In the photo above, you'll see that I served these with some homemade spiced apple butter as a side dish. They're also quite nice on pan-roasted or grilled salmon; in that instance, place them atop the salmon before cooking or midway through so that they adhere slightly to and share their fruity, sugary goodness with the fish.
A Well-Traveled Applesauce Cake
Update your heirlooms.
An updated heirloom applesauce cake.
All About Stinky Cheese
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.