If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These blintzes are light, lemony and not too sweet. Our office mate Avi shared the recipe with me, which is his grandmother's, and I've been wanting to make it for months now. I finally did, and let's just say I'll be making it for years to come. —Merrill Stubbs
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup milk, plus more if needed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Butter for frying
- 2 7.5-ounce packages (Avi's grandmother recommends Friendship brand) farmer cheese, salted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- To make the pancake batter, whisk together the milk, eggs, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add the flour gradually, whisking constantly until the batter is smooth. Set aside.
- Stir together all of the filling ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Set an 8-inch frying pan (I used a non-stick crepe pan) on medium heat. When the pan is hot, add a swipe of butter. Pour in 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pancake batter, swirling the pan to create a thin pancake. (If the batter seems to thick and you have trouble swirling it evenly in the pan, whisk in a little more milk.) Cook the pancake about 30 seconds, until the top looks dry and the edges start to curl. Use your fingers or a spatula to remove the pancake and set aside on a plate to cool. Then, make as many more pancakes as the batter will allow.
- Let the pancakes cool a little. Lay out about 4 pancakes, pale side up, and put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each. Fold each of the pancakes up into a square package, making sure the corners are completely closed.
- Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the blintzes in batches until deep golden brown and warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with applesauce on the side if you like.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
How to Make Bouillabaisse
A little magic and a lot of aromatics
How to make bouillabaisse.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
Pudding melon to the test.
We give it 8 tentacles up.