If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I bought way(!) too many beets at the farmers market last week and needed a new way to use them. I find that I never tire of a hearty dinner tart, beets are always lovely with goat cheese, and who doesn't love a caramelized onion?! Thus, this tart.
I riffed on a whole-wheat olive oil crust recipe I had, adding orange zest to it, and in general, kept things simple. We liked this a lot, and prefered it at room temp. —em-i-lis
Makes 1 9" round tart
For the Filling
- 2 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vin cotto (or reduced balsamic vinegar)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups roasted beets, sliced into 1/8" thick rounds
- 8 mint leaves, slivered
- 1/3 cup fresh goat cheese, crumbled
For the crust
- 250 grams whole wheat pastry flour (roughly 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- If you read this ahead of time, roast your beets and refrigerate overnight. Otherwise, trim about 6 beets, place in a baking dish, add 1/4" water, cover with foil and roast at 375 for 20 minutes. Slice beets into 1/8" thick rounds/slices.
- Meanwhile, in a 10" skillet, heat 2 T olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the thinly sliced onions and season well with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent and soft, about 10 minutes. Add vin cotto or reduced (or regular) balsamic vinegar, reduce heat to low and cook until very soft, getting caramelized. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
- Make the crust: in a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and orange zest. Add the olive oil and stir with a fork until incorporated. Add the water and fork until incorporated. Knead into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out into a large circle and flip into a lightly greased 9" round tart pan. You'll have extra; trim it off and bake for snack-crackers.
- In the tart shell, sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese. Then layer in the slivered mint and caramelized onions. Season with salt and pepper. Layer on top the roasted beet rounds and season again with s&p.
- Cover tart with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Lower oven heat to 300, remove foil from tart and cook 10 additional minutes. Remove tart and drizzle with olive oil. Let sit. This is really the best at room temp, preferably with a glass of Pinot.
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
Have a ball (jar).