Author Notes: This stuffing is our absolute favorite Thanksgiving side dish. Such a perfect complement to all of the wonderful Thanksgiving dishes. Definite crowd-pleaser and easy to make! - mrsriley81
- 12 cups white bread cubes, baked until slightly dry
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 6 cups coarsely chopped leeks
- 2 cups celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 1/3 cup chicken stock
- salt to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 stick butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large pan, cook sausage until browned and crumbled. Remove from pan, set aside, and drain grease.
- In the same pan, melt the stick of butter and add the apples, celery, leeks, and poultry seasoning. Saute until softened, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add the rosemary, cranberries, and cooked sausage, mix all ingredients together well.
- Stir in the dried bread crumbs until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Moisten with chicken stock. Bake in a buttered casserole dish, covered for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Stuffing