If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This savory ham & cheese treat is delicious and satisfying any time, hot from the oven in the morning, to lunch at room temperature and even the next day out of a cooler, they travel well.
The recipe is a savory take on my Cherry-Almond Cinnamon buns (found onsite) that follow a sticky bun technique = placing prepared raw buns over a syrup before baking and inverting; instead, however, these raw savories are placed over melted butter, cheese, finely minced sweet red peppers and scallions to accentuate the savory flavor.
Makes 6 very large rolls and can easily be made into 12 smaller rolls
- DOUGH – WET INGREDIENTS
- In a 2 cup measure, stir to combine the following ingredients:
- 1/3 cup dry powdered milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1 egg – lightly beaten
- DOUGH – DRY INGREDIENTS
- In the work bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine:
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 packet Rapid Rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar or (optional) 1 teaspoon Diastatic Malt Powder - I order mine from King Arthur
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary (preferred)
- OR 1 teaspoon dry rosemary and the salt (below), crushed together in a mortar and pestle
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BUN & FILLING INGREDIENTS
- Prepare the filling ingredients and set aside until ready to assemble the roll
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Black Forest Ham. Note: enough to cover a 9x12 raw dough rectangle
- NOTE: Combine the following cheeses - to be divided between the filling and topping
- 1/4 cup micro-plane grated hard cheese such as Parmesan
- 3 cups combined, shredded mozzarella, Jarlsberg and a cheddar mixture
- NOTE: Combine the following 2 ingredients - to be divided between the filling and topping
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Start your KitchenAid with dough hook attached on low speed and slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. When the dough forms a shaggy ball let it rest, covered, for 10 minutes, resume processing the dough, increase your speed to medium.
- Stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook, if needed. Mix until the dough is pulling away from the sides of the bowl, add more flour if needed, but keep in mind that this dough should be soft; on the wet side.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and soft, adding a sprinkling of extra flour if needed to keep from sticking to your hands.
- Form the dough into a round and place into a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size – about an hour.
- Punch down and knead the dough. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and prepare baking dish. In a 9 x 13 baking dish brush with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, sprinkle half of the red pepper/scallion mixture and 1 cup of the cheese mixture. Set aside until needed.
- On a lightly floured counter; press the dough into a 9x12-inch rectangle. Brush with one tablespoon of butter.
- Layer the dough with remaining filling ingredients, starting with the ham, then cheese followed by the red pepper/chopped scallions.
- Starting with the longest end of the rectangle, roll up and pinch the seam together.
- For 6 large rolls, cut the dough roll every 2 inches and assemble them into the baking dish. Brush with remaining butter. Note: cut into 1 inch slices for 12 smaller rolls.
- Cover buns with plastic wrap and rise for an hour or until doubled. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let buns sit in the baking dish for 10 minutes; take a spatula around the edges to loosen (if needed).
- Let buns sit 10 more minutes and then invert the baking dish onto a platter, let sit 5 minutes and then pull the buns apart.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.