Author Notes: I have been eating sticky buns since I was a child. I started to make them regularly in the years when I baked all my own bread using part of the bread dough to make these buns. I stopped making my own bread and missed making and of course eating these yummy buns until one day the light went on... why not use ready made pizza dough from the grocery or your local pizzeria. So the recipe in it's latest form was born. Enjoy - soupcon
Makes 9 to 12
- 1 bag pizza dough
- 2 1/2 cups toasted nuts chopped (optional)
- 1-2 cup raisons
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- soft butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey or corn syrup
- Make the syrup first by melting the 1/2 cup of butter in a saucepand and adding and bringing to a boil the brown sugar and honey/cornsyrup stirring all the while to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat when the sugar is dissolved and pour carefully into a buttered 9 inch baking pan. Let cool.
- Let the pizza dough come to room temperature. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board into a rectangle approx 16 by 10 inches. Spread with the softened butter to within 1 inch of the edges but no closer than that. Spread with the dark brown sugar and then sprinkle the cinnamon and toasted nuts and/or raisons if desired. Roll carefully towards you from the long side being carefull to contain the sugar, and if used nuts and/or raisons. Pinch the dough edges together along the long side and both ends. Cut crosswise into 9 slices or snails and place carefully cut side down on the cooled syrup in the prepared baking pan. Let rise until doubled in bulk approx 1 hour. Bake in a 350* F. oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the buns are done. Let cool for 5 minutes and then carefully invert onto a rimmed plate or 1/4 size baking sheet lined with foil, waxed paper or baking paper. Serve warm or at room temperature. Fabulous the next day sliced and toasted and spread with butter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe