If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite cookies is from the Dutch Oven Bakery in northern Michigan. The Dry Bone cookies come in two sizes, but I like the smaller, crunchy ones best. This cookie is a spice cookie with almonds, but my version adds candied citrus peel. It's also a refrigerator cookie, nice because you can form the rolls and stick them in the freezer. They are excellent for dunking! —Louisa
Makes around 70 cookies or so
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses or sorghum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup crystallized/candied orange peel
- 1/4 cup crystallized/candied lemon peel
- Mix flour,ginger and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add molasses (or sorghum) and vanilla to creamed mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the almonds and the crystallized ginger and orange and lemon peel.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a 2" thick log. I do a log that has four flat edges (like a milled log). Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for two hours or until very firm (can also be frozen at this point.)
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 3" section off the log. Slice this section longways into slender pieces. Place on baking sheet with silpat/parchment, 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes or until edges of cookie just start to darken. Transfer cookies to wire rack for cooling. Cookies should be crisp when they are cooled. Store Dry Bones in a tin or tightly closed container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection
More Great Recipes: Cookies
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
Food blog links we love.
We've got the summer blues.
Are marinades worth it?
A better basket.