If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This easy, no bake chocolate confection came about after seeing several recipes for it. The original recipes from Artisan Patisserie for the Home Baker was too complicated. I simplified the recipe by eliminating the candied orange peel and added my own twist to it with orange zest, crystallized ginger and orange liqueur soaked cranberries. What I love about this Italian chocolate log is the playful way that it mimics a salami with it's marbleized fat. I will be making several of these logs for the holidays and freezing them. - lakelurelady
Makes one log
- 9 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Whole almonds
- Zest of one orange
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Orange liqueur
- 1 cup Butter cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup Crystallized ginger slices, chopped
- 2 Egg yolks, beaten
- Soak dried cranberries in water and orange liqueur for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- Melt chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. When melted add the sugar, almonds, orange zest, drained cranberries, cookie crumbs and crystallized ginger. Stir and remove from heat. Cool for a few minutes. Add the beaten egg yolks and allow to come to room temperature.
- Form chocolate mixture into a log. Smooth the surface to be sure none of the filling is sticking out. Wrap the log in wax paper and refrigerate until firm. Slice and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection