Author Notes: This easy, no bake chocolate confection came about after seeing several recipes for it. The original recipes from Artisan Patisserie for the Home Baker was too complicated. I simplified the recipe by eliminating the candied orange peel and added my own twist to it with orange zest, crystallized ginger and orange liqueur soaked cranberries. What I love about this Italian chocolate log is the playful way that it mimics a salami with it's marbleized fat. I will be making several of these logs for the holidays and freezing them. - lakelurelady
Makes one log
- 9 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Whole almonds
- Zest of one orange
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Orange liqueur
- 1 cup Butter cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup Crystallized ginger slices, chopped
- 2 Egg yolks, beaten
- Soak dried cranberries in water and orange liqueur for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- Melt chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. When melted add the sugar, almonds, orange zest, drained cranberries, cookie crumbs and crystallized ginger. Stir and remove from heat. Cool for a few minutes. Add the beaten egg yolks and allow to come to room temperature.
- Form chocolate mixture into a log. Smooth the surface to be sure none of the filling is sticking out. Wrap the log in wax paper and refrigerate until firm. Slice and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection