If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my riff on Galaktoboureko, the lovely Greek pastry of layers of phyllo dough filled with custard, topped with more layers of phyllo, soaked with a sugary syrup and baked until golden. I use mini phyllo cups available in the freezer section of most grocery stores, but you could certainly line mini muffin pans with sheets of phyllo instead. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 60
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup semolina, farina or Cream of Wheat
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- A pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 packages mini phyllo (fillo) shells (15 per pack)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups walnuts toasted in a 350F oven for 5 minutes and then chopped
- Honey for drizzling
- Whisk the semolina, cornstarch, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the pinch of salt in a small mixing bowl and set aside
- In a medium sauce pan begin slowly heating the milk to boiling. While watching the milk, beat the eggs with an electric mixer , add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and continue beating until fluffy.
- Once the milk comes up to the boil, whisk in the semolina mixture and continue stirring until the mixture thickens and just starts to boil again. Take off the heat and let rest for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the egg/sugar mixture, vanilla, honey and orange zest.
- Place the mini phyllo cups on baking sheets and fill each with the custard, almost to the top. Bake in a 350F oven for 6 to 8 minutes until the custard is set.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the walnuts and then drizzle each cup with a few drops of honey.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.