If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This homemade Kahlúa is dense, syrupy and sweet; a distinct taste of Mexican espresso coffee with a mixture a grain alcohol, rum and brandy.
I literally stumbled onto this recipe, years ago, while visiting my in laws, wondered why I didn’t know about it and immediately copied it down, modifying the coffee flavoring to espresso and the vanilla to pure bourbon extract before even trying it; finding later that my “tweaking hunch” was a good one.
This makes a great hostess gift, is perfect for all the winter celebrations. I recycle old liquor bottles, strip the labels, wash thoroughly, fill them up, add a brightly colored bow, a gift card and…Cheers!
Makes about 5 fifths. this recipe easily doubles.
- 2-1/2 lb. superfine sugar
- 5 cups water
- 16 oz light corn syrup
- 4 oz. instant espresso coffee = Medaglia D'Oro
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 oz pure bourbon vanilla extract
- 12 oz pure grain alcohol (I use Everclear) NOTE: or 100 proof Vodka if you would rather use it
- 12 oz Dark Rum
- 12 oz Brandy
- Combine the sugar, syrup and water, heat until clear, take off heat.
- Combine the instant espresso and boiling water, add to the syrup and cool to 70 degrees.
- Add the vanilla to the syrup, stir.
- Add the grain alcohol, rum and brandy to the syrup.
- Stir let set 24 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
A Bagel & Lox, In Salad Form
This is (crème) fraîche
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Churn with confidence.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.