If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: PALLAPPAM (Crisp Laced Rice Pancakes)
A classic Kerala bread, this is supposed to have been introduced by the Portuguese centuries ago, from Ceylon. It was for many years a typical Syrian Christian food. It s still served in Christian families for breakfast. It has also developed appeal among other peoples of Kerala too, and is regularly served as a starter for lunch and dinner. I recently changed the family version recipe and this made and excellent result
Food52 Review: I made these pancakes in a 6 inch nonstick pan. They were light & had a delicate yet yielding crispy crunch. The yeast tended to give the crepe like pancake a robust flavor reminiscent of fresh bread, and the coconut milk confers a mild nutty aroma that balances the dish without overpowering it. The Salt & sugar were perfectly balanced and it forms the perfect base for pairing with robust curries as well as light stews. & yes even a drizzle of maple syrup for a light breakfast. The crepes are addictive and the rate limiting factor for scarfing them down is the speed at which they can be made! —Panfusine
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 1 tablespoon Semolina
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Yeast
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Thick coconut Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Prepare a thick porridge with the semolina and water. Cool
- Mix together remaining ingredients other than salt; beat in a blender for 2 minutes.(The batter should have a single cream consistency)
- Cover the bowl and prove for 6 to 8 hours
- When double in size, add salt and more coconut milk
- Heat an ‘Appam’ pan, ladle ¼ cup of the batter into the center of the pan
- Lift the pan and swirl the batter a little bit toward the edge of the pan to get a thin layer of batter around the center
- Cover the pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes till the center is cooked; the edges ought to have a golden brown crust Usually we have with a spicy curry or a fish moily
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.