If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created a fun fizzy virgin version of Panakam , a 3000 (yep, 30 centuries) yr old drink that is still made in Homes & Temples in South India, primarily as a reaction to the head notes included in Madhur Jaffrey's book World vegetarian (listed as 'extinct, -- if you don't believe me, check out P.644 of the book). The next natural progression to raise the indignant streak with traditional, 'upright' propah South Indians world wide, would of course be to boozify it.. (I've 'Panfusined' my way thru a lot of their dishes, time now to tackle their beverages!). And 'boozify' it I did. Went down many iterations, some of which went happily down my hatch, others that did not. This final version, I sent off to to a spicy cocktail competition judged by Kara Newman, and she loved it well enough to pick it as the winner. —Panfusine
Makes one 6 oz serving, can be multiplied for more!
- 1 ounce Chilled Lemon flavored Vodka
- 2 ounces Chilled Domain de Canton Ginger liqueur
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 2-3 pods Cardamom (seeds lightly crushed)
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 3 ounces chilled sparkling water or lime flavored seltzer
- Muddle the brown sugar, cardamom seeds, ginger powder and lime juice till the sugar dissolves.
- Add the vodka and ginger liqueur along with the seltzer/sparkling water. Strain into glasses (rimmed with sugar if desired) & serve chilled. Feel free to adjust the vodka as per your personal preference.
- Alternatively, if your spirits are at room temperature, you may add the vodka & ginger liqueur into a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice along with the muddled sugar n' spice. Shake well & then add the sparkling water & seltzer. Strain into glasses & serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Punch
Welcome to the Winner's Circle
Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
Welcome to the winner's circle.
Recipe of the Day
Your poolside essentials.
Dessert before dinner.