If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Honey tangerines are hands down my favorite citrus fruit. I buy large quantities and both eat and juice them all winter. They are a cross between a standard tangerine and an orange, are larger and juicier and have a wonderful tart/sweet flavor. For this punch I mix freshly squeezed honey tangerine juice with the juice of navel oranges, add champagne and black cherry granita. Its festive and has the extra perk of being loaded with vitamin c and anti-oxidants.
For smaller parties simply adjust the recipe and you don't have to make in a punch bowl just make each drink individually. You can play with the proportions there is no wrong way to mix this up. - sdebrango
The juice, simple syrup and granita
- 8-10 honey tangerines (should make approximately 3 cups of juice)
- 6 navel oranges (should make approximately 3 cups of juice)
- the zest of 2 tangerines or 1 navel orange
- 1/2 cup sugar (for simple syrup)
- 1/2 cup water (for simple syrup
- 1 quart black cherry juice no sugar added (I used R.W Knudson) (for granita)
- 2 tablespoons creme de Mure or cassis (for granita)
- 1/2 cup sugar (for granita)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (for granita)
- To make the simple syrup, in med saucepan add sugar, water and tangerine or orange zest. Bring to a boil, don't stir just swirl the pot to make sure no sugar crystals stick to the side of the pan. When all of the sugar is dissolved remove from heat, let come to room temperature pour through sieve into jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In same saucepan add black cherry juice, sugar and lemon zest bring to a boil, stir frequently and remove from heat when sugar is dissolved. Add the creme de mure or cassis. Bring to room temperature or to quicken the process put in ice bath to get it cold and pour into rectangular non reactive pan. Place in freezer for approximately 1 1/2 hours, (you will see the edges starting to freeze) using a fork scrape and put back in freezer, repeat this process every hour until its frozen through and resembles shaved ice. Cover and keep frozen. It takes about 3-4 hours to make this.
- Juice your tangerines and oranges and refrigerate. All ingredients should be cold when you assemble the punch. Chill your champagne.
Putting it all together
- 6 cups tangerine/orange juice (48 oz)
- 1 1/2 - 2 bottles champagne (the amount of champagne depends on how boozy you want the punch)
- 1/4 cup tangerine simple syrup
- black cherry granita
- Chill your punch bowl. Add juice and simple syrup and stir to combine. Add the champagne. Have your glasses or champagne flutes ready. To serve, scoop a heaping tablespoon of granita into glass, ladle punch over the granita and enjoy!
- Note: This can be made with seltzer or sparkling water instead of champagne for a booze free punch if you use sparkling water add 1/2 cup simple syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Punch
A Recipe-Free Memorial Day Menu
It's never too late to throw a party.
A Memorial Day menu, minus the fuss.
The classiest peppers on the 'net.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.