If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My yearnings for the light flavors of summer brought me to dream up this side dish salad. So often when I make winter veggies, they are hot and rich. The beauty of this salad is that it celebrates butternut squash, a classic fall and winter vegetable, but tastes very light and fresh. Instead of the traditional approaches of blending it into a savory soup or other hot preparation, the squash is roasted then tossed with black beans, onions, cilantro, and a sweet and smoky chipotle dressing. Serve the salad room temperature garnished with roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds) and feta or goat cheese. You can view the recipe on my blog as well: http://mypantryshelf.com/2011/01/19/chipotle-black-bean-and-butternut-squash-salad/ - My Pantry Shelf
- 3 cups diced butternut squash (one small)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups cooked black beans (2-15 ounce cans)
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup roasted pepitas
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the diced butternut squash with the oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven 25-35 minutes until the squash begins to caramelize. Stir every 10 minutes or so to ensure even browning.
- Put pepitas in a dry pan over medium heat. Stir frequently. Roast until pepitas begin to brown. They will pop and become roundish. Remove from heat and cool. You may want to make extra as a yummy snack.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, onion, cilantro, and garlic. Add the roasted butternut squash. Toss with 1/2 of the dressing. Taste and add salt as needed. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to 1 day to let the flavors blend. To serve, toss salad again and top with feta and roasted pepitas.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the oil and whole garlic cloves in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the garlic just begins to brown. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In blender, combine remaining dressing ingredients. Add the garlic and oil. Blend until smooth.
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.